Jun 032012
 

Old model on left, new one on right

We finally got a chance to work on our models.  The Doc Savage resin model kit had initially disappointed me.  Not because it required so much cleanup, though that played a part.  Mainly because the sculpt was ‘elongated’, and the face looked too long and skinny.  Kind of made me think Doc Savage had a kid brother who hadn’t grown into his full size yet.  For a comparison, above is the old Doc Savage model I did years ago, next to the current one.  (Though as mentioned below, the new one looks better after being primered.)

Thank goodness, after coating him with light gray for primer, he started looking better.  Getting some shadows and visible detail, even if it was only gray, really helped.  Kind of broke the lines apart, so the features don’t look so stretched out.  Coating the tiki figure and the bamboo shoots was easy enough.  I did have some trouble with the main base.  There was so much tiny detail, it was difficult getting the paint to fill all the crevices.  Plus, even though it had been washed, the paint was not sticking well.  Wanted to bead up and leave spots open.  I had to cycle between touch-up, and drying, until it was all covered.

I like to do my primer in gray.  No strong reason, it’s just a neutral color and works well under dark or light paints.  I’ve tried doing primer in dark gray or black, but found it overpowers the paint colors.  Once the base was done, it was remarkably easy to paint.  I wanted a swampy look.  Partially because my last model (The Phantom) had a sandy/jungle floor.  Also because the other Doc Savage kit I painted had a sand/dirt base.  It was time to do something differently.  Started with a dark Hunter green.  Muddied it up with a glossy “Real Brown’ wash.  Just lightly, didn’t want to overwhelm the green.  Then highlighted with a few random light greens, in a random pattern so it looked kind of mottled.

The rock on the back will likely never be seen once the model’s on display… but still, I painted it gray, with smudged dark green over it like algae.  The root and leaves were fun.  Used similar technique on the leaves, but upped the brightness a bit to make them stand out.  But only a little bit.  I wanted the entire scene to kind of blend into one overall impression.

The root was my big exception.  I swirled glossy black and glossy brown together, but didn’t blend them perfectly.  Then when I painted it, the root had mottled and smudged brown/black, like it was laying in the damp and rotting.  I’ll highlight it with some dry brushing, but want to keep that ‘damp and rotting’ look.  I plan on following a similar plan on the rotting tiki carving, but with more detail.

  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Delicious
  • StumbleUpon
  • Blogger
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Posterous
  • Reddit
  • Tumblr
  • Email
  • RSS

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)

     

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Pinterest
EmailEmail
%d bloggers like this: